The rising popularity of customer experience (CX) is parallel with the rise of consumer empowerment. Customers are now in control of when, where, and how they want to interact with a brand – and, brands don’t have many opportunities to get it right. Here are 7 characteristics of modern customers that affect their perceptions of customer experience.
- Customers reign supreme. They control the experience they want; they research, explore, and share.
- Customers are ALWAYS connected. 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, on any internet-enabled device. 77% of Americans own a smartphone today, compared to 35% in 2011 (pewinternet.org)
- Customers expect personal interactions. 87% of customers believe brands could deliver more consistent experiences (visioncritical.com)
- Customers compare, and compare, and compare. They look at products they’re interested in across multiple channels and devices, and it’s likely any brand-owned channels are the last place they look.
- Customers trust word-of-mouth over brands. 70% of consumers trust online recommendations more than brand statements (Forrester.com)
- Customers think in terms of “I want it now.” They expect to be able to get everything right away. 64% of customers expect real-time service regardless of the channel they use (v12data.com)
- Customers are highly opinionated. They’re ready to talk to anyone about a good or bad experience. Customers are 3x more likely to recommend a brand after they’ve had a positive interaction with them (hbr.org)
Learn more about the trends and technology affecting the modern consumer in 3 Areas of Customer Experience to Invest In Right Now.