Tuesday, August 11, 2020
Trends

5 Ways Your Day-To-Day CX Will Change in 2020

Benjamin Hunting
December 31, 2019

3 minute read

The CX industry continues to evolve, and with it the customer expectations, available technologies, and business processes surrounding it. How will these changes affect your day-to-day customer experience throughout the upcoming year?

Here are 5 predictions for how customer experience interactions will shape up for 2020.

AI will continue to push employees into new roles

The chatbot revolution — which for many organizations represents the frontline of customer-facing artificial intelligence — isn’t slowing down. According to Gartner, “Twenty-five percent of customer service and support operations will integrate virtual customer assistant (VCA) or chatbot technology across engagement channels by 2020.”

What does this mean for customer experience employees and the customers reaching out to them? It’s no secret that human-to-human interactions are increasingly being pushed higher up the food chain, but AI is adding significant value to these points of contact. Artificial intelligence services will increasingly aggregate useful data about a customer so that individuals calling in with their problems will receive quicker and more satisfying solutions.

Natural language communication will further improve AI flexibility

Part and parcel of AI’s continued adoption as the initial point of customer contact has to do with improved language processing capabilities. A DestinationCRM report predicts that over the next 12 months, a full 10% of AI interactions in the CX will be made possible by natural language communication. Conversational communication with bots using natural language in voice and chat through support channels will make them increasingly indistinguishable from human customer service reps.

Accessibility will grow in importance and acceptance

The ability of technology to include those with disabilities represents the perfect opportunity for customer experience to become a leader in improving accessibility. CX technology that takes into account the Americans With Disabilities Act as well as Section 508 of the GSA IT Accessibility Program is several steps ahead of not just customer needs, but the negative publicity that can come from failures to take into account the diversity of customer interactions. The upshot is CX that doesn’t exclude anyone looking for help about a product, trying to place an order, or seeking additional information from an organization.

Customer satisfaction outreach will go on the offensive

“Only 4% of dissatisfied customers will complain, and an overwhelming majority of the remaining 96% will just leave. Adopting the mantra ‘Don’t wait for the complain’ will help companies fix problems for the 96 percent, improve customer loyalty, and lower customer churn,” says James Dodkins, host of This Week In CX.

Companies will increasingly direct their customer experience efforts toward acquiring customer impressions as early on in an interaction as possible, and then use that data to further streamline their processes. For customers, this means the days of threatening to take their business elsewhere to get a resolution to a particular issue could be in the rear-view.

Hyper-personalization will come to define CX

The idea of providing personalized service based on accumulated customer data isn’t just an internal customer experience dream — it’s also the reality that more and more shoppers are coming to expect. In fact, according to McKinsey, in a survey of CMOs, “37 percent say that facial recognition, location recognition, and biometric sensors will become more widely used.” It’s more than just a music service knowing what you want to hear on a playlist — walking into a store, for example, and having only the deals you are interested in automatically sent to your phone could be coming as soon as next year.

Benjamin Hunting
Benjamin Hunting
Benjamin Hunting has covered science, medicine, and technology for a wide range of publications, and has also been published in the Journal of Medical Economics. He coded his first computer program at the age of 8 on a Commodore VIC-20 and still has the audio cassette he saved it on hanging around somewhere in his office.
SmarterCX.com by Oracle is the destination for professionals who are building the next generation of customer experience. Here, you can find breaking news, in-depth analyses, expert insights, and useful tools that will empower you to think and work progressively.
CLOSE